A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for analysis and discussion about malware.
 #12793  by DanielX
 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:43 am
Hello,

I have a computer (Acer) here who has a MBRlock ransomware infection. When I booted the system I got a black screen with orange letters in English and something that looked like Italian. I tried the Kaspersky Rescue Disk to remove this MBRLock. Kaspersky said that the Trojan-Ransom.Boot.Mbro.d was desinfected. I rebooted the system. Acer Recovery is now the only partition that is able to boot.

Trying stuff like bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd returns a message: Windows installations found: 0.
/fixmbr and /bootfix doens't work either.

When I use a Linux LiveCD or the Kasperksy Rescue Disk filemanager I can browse through all files on what is (in Windows terms) C:\ (ACER) and what is D:\ (DATA). On the DATA partition I found a .txt-file named: HOW TO DECRYPT FILES.txt
Attention! All your files are encrypted!
You are using unlicensed programms!
To restore your files and access them,
send code Ukash or Paysafecard nominal value of EUR 50 to the e-mail Koeserg@gmail.com. During the day you receive the answer with the code.

You have 5 attempts to enter the code. If you exceed this
of all data irretrievably spoiled. Be
careful when you enter the code!
With Ubuntu Live a made a back-up of the MBR. I was wondering if somebody can adjust it so Windows Vista can boot again?
I added the MBR als an attachment.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Attachments
(461 Bytes) Downloaded 73 times
 #12796  by EP_X0FF
 Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm
DanielX wrote:With Ubuntu Live a made a back-up of the MBR.
Backup of what? Original MBR before infection and "removal" or after?
 #12799  by Blitskrieg
 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:04 pm
Hello.

Probably important Acer boot data was damaged by mbr trojan (there were precedents). You could try to use fixmbr.
 #12806  by Blitskrieg
 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 am
markusg wrote:he has used fixmbr.
But attached MBR-backup contains non-standard Acer boot code.