A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Discussion on reverse-engineering and debugging.
 #12532  by __Genius__
 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 pm
Windows Internals, Part 1: Covering Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
Hi, just to note :

This ebook is available in electronic format rightnow, if anyone interested it could be find here
If warez activity is prohibited here, so you can send me pm to get the link .

Regards.
 #12533  by redp
 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 pm
__Genius__ wrote:Windows Internals, Part 1: Covering Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
I think this is dismal repetition of hackneyed themes without any new pages added
 #13048  by redp
 Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 am
newgre wrote:@redp Interesting to see how people build their opinions purely on myths without facts.
Me too
I see you already have some precious and only right opinion about me
 #13053  by R136a1
 Sat May 05, 2012 3:56 pm
Because today, everything is about money making and we all know what redp was talking about, so stop flaming.
There is no doubt that Mark Russinovich, David Solomon and Alex Ionescu do an outstanding job with their Windows Internals book series.
 #13055  by Vrtule
 Sat May 05, 2012 4:30 pm
Well, I think that the book contain new content related to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Other parts are probably very similar (or the same) as in the previous editions. I think that the "problem" is that every new version of Windows is not written from scratch. So, it is enough to keep the book up to date with the newest verzsion of the OS and to fix typos and other mistakes. Paperback of the 6th edition lies next to my bed, however, I seem to be unable to find time to look into it now.

Everything is about money
I agree. But in this particular case, I think that Mark, Alex and David did great things in the past (Sysinternals utilities for example), hence I see no problem with paying them indirectly some money by buying their book which I found to be very helpful in some cases.

-------

I have no experience in writting and "selling" English books where the market is, maybe, large enough to generate reasonable amount of money. I have experience with writting and "selling" Czech book that focuses on on Windows kernel. Because Czech Republic really isn't a large country with many people living there, the market seems to be very limited, so I expect no money that would reward my work on the book. And my expectaions seem to be true.

However, I did not want to write about the markets. I wanted to say that writting a book really is not an easy job. It is very time-consuming with uncertain result. and they are not really happy (which is easily understandable because many things are about money) when the book is getting late.
 #13056  by newgre
 Sat May 05, 2012 5:08 pm
R136a1 wrote:Because today, everything is about money making and we all know what redp was talking about, so stop flaming.
There is no doubt that Mark Russinovich, David Solomon and Alex Ionescu do an outstanding job with their Windows Internals book series.
You make it sound as if there was no other possibility than to either agree with your point of view or be labeled a "flamer". Still, you don't present profound arguments, oh well.
I have the book (and have read many editions before) and I can confirm that the statement "without any new pages added" is not only wrong but is indeed the statement that should be labeled as "flame" here.