A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Discussion on reverse-engineering and debugging.
 #31007  by Mondragon
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:29 pm
Unpacking IMO is the hardest part of REing files. It is also the most fun. Right now, I know basic manual unpacking and I've also unpacked some more advanced packers by following some tutorials. I have 2 main problems:

1. Many of the tuts4you tutorials are outdated, hard to understand, do not explain "why", or are completely wrong. For example, some I download the file and I follow the instructions and the instructions are plain wrong and do not work at all. Others, I cannot understand what's really going on. This is also true for YouTube videos.

2. I don't want to learn how to unpack specific unpackers. What I want to learn is the philosophy behind unpacking so that when I am faced with a new packer, I can figure it out myself. I need to learn some strategies on figuring it out myself. People write unpacking scripts, I want to be able to do this.

My final problem is that there seems to be a lot of great content out there, in Chinese or Russian. I am looking for more unpacking content in English but if I have to, I will try to learn Russian or Chinese soon so if you are Russian or Chinese and know of a good website in those languages, you can provide that here still. Thank you.