A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about user-mode development.
 #8798  by listito
 Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:56 am
One very interesting thing about this function is that all process with user32.dll are monitored, the ones who haven't are not, so what about hiding user32.dll? hehe

I remember i tried to hide it a couple of months ago with NTIlusion method, but no success against setwindowshookex and process explorer for example :(
 #8803  by EP_X0FF
 Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:17 pm
listito wrote:One very interesting thing about this function is that all process with user32.dll are monitored, the ones who haven't are not, so what about hiding user32.dll? hehe

I remember i tried to hide it a couple of months ago with NTIlusion method, but no success against setwindowshookex and process explorer for example :(
What you want to do? Defend yourself from dll injection via SetWindowsHookEx?

If so, there exists other way, Peb->KernelCallbackTable (ClientLoadLibrary), c.f. KiUserCallbackDispatcher.
 #8812  by Vrtule
 Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:49 pm
One very interesting thing about this function is that all process with user32.dll are monitored, the ones who haven't are not, so what about hiding user32.dll? hehe
I don't think hiding user32.dll will help. Hook callbacks are usually executed when certain Windows messages are passed to the target thread. And Windows messages stuff (and other GUI) is implemented in user32.dll.

LL hooks work a little bit differently. They are global to the desktop and I think they do need user32.dll only in application that installed them.
 #8818  by listito
 Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm
well i've found kinda stupid solution, it was hooking loadlibraryexw, but it doesn't work in other versions of kernel32.dll, holy crap, isn't there any good detours engine around?

because i don't know what to do to make a good portable hook...
 #8830  by Vrtule
 Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:19 am
Then, look at KiUserCallbackDispatcher routine in ntdll.dll, as EP_X0FF had already recommended you.

This routine is called whenever the kernel needs to execute some code in user mode (but not inside APC). It is the user end of user mode callback mechanism used mainly by Windows GUI subsystem (win32k.sys) and by Windows Hooks too.

You can hook this routine. It should be quite portable. You need only special hook code for x86 and x64 platforms.

However, manipulating with Peb->KernelCallbackTable could be even more portable.
 #8835  by listito
 Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm
i'm very impressed, i'd not imagine to find such a table like this in usermode even in a million years, thanks guys :twisted:

But i'm very curious to know, only dlls injected with setwindowshookex calls this this pointer at this table(peb->kcall)? that's amazing :shock:
 #8850  by EP_X0FF
 Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 am
listito wrote:i'm very impressed, i'd not imagine to find such a table like this in usermode even in a million years, thanks guys :twisted:

But i'm very curious to know, only dlls injected with setwindowshookex calls this this pointer at this table(peb->kcall)? that's amazing :shock:
This is some sort of very old trick, IIRC I saw it in 2006 in some AV. However callback indexes are subject of change so you need to build index table for all actual NT versions.
 #8853  by listito
 Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:01 am
EP_X0FF wrote:
listito wrote:i'm very impressed, i'd not imagine to find such a table like this in usermode even in a million years, thanks guys :twisted:

This is some sort of very old trick, IIRC I saw it in 2006 in some AV. However callback indexes are subject of change so you need to build index table for all actual NT versions.
actual nt versions you mean 6.1(windows 7)?

Great, i have one question EP_X0FF, what's the best method to prevent dll injection from ring0? Installing a notify routine woud be a good idea?
 #8854  by EP_X0FF
 Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:18 am
I mean Windows that are still supported.
what's the best method to prevent dll injection from ring0
You mean injection from driver? Or driver to prevent injection?
 #8857  by listito
 Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am
my driver preventing any kind of injection

so winxp sp1 and sp2 can have diferent callback indexes? damn :(

There's another thing, when i overwrite the callback clientloadlibrary, at the moment it is called the dll string is located at [esi+1c], can this index change from diferent versions of ntdll.dll?