A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for announcements and questions about tools and software.
 #18290  by TwinHeadedEagle
 Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm
I came to conclusion that Virtual Box has too many bugs, so I installed VMware Workstation.

Can you tell me are patched Virtual Box files better option for hiding VM presence than editing VMware vmx configuration file...

And where is the location of that config file?
 #18300  by EP_X0FF
 Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:46 am
MAXS wrote:I came to conclusion that Virtual Box has too many bugs, so I installed VMware Workstation.

Can you tell me are patched Virtual Box files better option for hiding VM presence than editing VMware vmx configuration file...

And where is the location of that config file?
I don't use Vmware. Posts moved.
 #18303  by TwinHeadedEagle
 Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm
I have bug in Windows 7 with usb devices.

When I boot recovery console and choose Command Prompt, I type Notepad --> File --> Open --> My Computer.

USB isn't shown, but in VMware it is. I hate this bug...
 #18305  by EP_X0FF
 Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:56 pm
Decide what you want - reversing/researching malware or playing in comfortable homemade/twitter virus analyst. VM (Vbox, Vmware etc) is just a emulation environment, anything else (usb support, additions, d3d support and rest of the crap) is not important. I have no idea what kind of bugs you experience and how to fix them. I don't have any of them. We are going to complete offtopic. If you still need tips how to avoid vmware detection by malware then ask questions, maybe someone who use vmware will answer, otherwise this thread will be locked as offtop.
 #18310  by TwinHeadedEagle
 Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:06 pm
EP_X0FF wrote:Decide what you want - reversing/researching malware or playing in comfortable homemade/twitter virus analyst. VM (Vbox, Vmware etc) is just a emulation environment, anything else (usb support, additions, d3d support and rest of the crap) is not important. I have no idea what kind of bugs you experience and how to fix them. I don't have any of them. We are going to complete offtopic. If you still need tips how to avoid vmware detection by malware then ask questions, maybe someone who use vmware will answer, otherwise this thread will be locked as offtop.
Reversing is not for me, it's too complicated and I don't have time to learn...

I am Anti Malware Fighter and I am using tools like FRST(my favourite), OTL, DDS, GMER, ComboFix(even if I don't like it), Avenger :mrgreen: , and so on to remove malware. That's why I need fully working VM, so I can use all tools, and I don't have another physical machine...

There were no bugs, I installed extension pack

You can lock this topic if you want.