A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Ask your beginner questions here.
 #3529  by TheKid7
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:51 am
I want experience removing malware from infected PC's. However, the problem is that I do not have any infected PC's available for experience.

I have a 7 year old PC (Windows XP SP3) that is in good condition. I am considering using it to gain experience with malware removal.

My future plan: Make a "Clean" Image of the PC's hard drive (Saved on an external USB 2.0 hard drive). Uninstall the Antivirus Software. Download malware and infect the PC while it is disconnected from my home network. Make an "Infected" Image of the PC's hard drive (Saved on an external USB 2.0 hard drive). Then experiment with removal/repair softwares/techniques. I will try to clean up the PC with with one method and then re-infect it by restoring the infected image, etc.

My problem is that I do not know what is the best way to infect the PC. What is the typical way that you infect a PC with the download(s) from Malware repository links provided on this forum? If there are many malware you want to install at the same time, do you have to install them one by one or are there package installers that install a "whole" bunch of malwares? Do you have any recommended malware downloads for a newbie to work with?

Thanks in Advance.
 #3535  by __Genius__
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:39 am
There's some repositories available to you whether for download real sample malwares or for infecting your machine through Drive-By-Download samples .
Here's an example .
The best way to learning malware removing / analysing is try from simple malwares & then see how it's working & which is the best way to remove / kill it (try different methods).

regards.