A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for analysis and discussion about malware.
 #12852  by Josh
 Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:39 am
Right to start off i'd like to point out I don't really know a lot about computers and i've never come against a form of virus that I cant get rid of by just doing a simple system restore. I've tried quite a few different anti rootkit and virus scans recently and i'm not getting anywhere. I don't really even know what to ask but just need help in knowing what to do to try and get this off of my computer :(

thanks in advance for any replies.
 #12876  by Josh
 Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm
Right, so with this process is it going to be fairly straight forward even for somebody like me who knows little about computers?
 #12877  by Josh
 Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:47 pm
I'm about to give it a go now, if I have to tell you how it went by going on my phone then you'll know i've blown my computer up haha :)
 #12882  by Josh
 Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm
I'm not sure if anybody can help me with this but if I boot using the rescue disk I can't connect to the internet (or at least i don't know how even if it is possible) so i cannot update the definitions. Is there a way to download the definitions on to the disk before or something?

Thanks for the help so far Buster this seems like one of the more likely ways to clean my computer.
 #12883  by Buster_BSA
 Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:55 pm
Josh wrote:I'm not sure if anybody can help me with this but if I boot using the rescue disk I can't connect to the internet (or at least i don't know how even if it is possible) so i cannot update the definitions. Is there a way to download the definitions on to the disk before or something?

Thanks for the help so far Buster this seems like one of the more likely ways to clean my computer.
Read here: http://agnipulse.com/2009/12/kaspersky- ... k-updater/

Definitions should be enough updated anyway.
 #12885  by Josh
 Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 pm
I didn't update the definitions as you said you thought it would be enough and it appears it has been, the scan said it removed a rootkit and AVG (which is what was telling me it was a rootkit) is saying my system is clean. So thanks a lot for all the help, i'm not 100% sure it's all dealt with perfectly yet but if anything else pops up i'll let you know.

Thanks again!