A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for announcements and questions about tools and software.
 #25317  by floalma
 Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:02 am
Hi,

I'm looking for a good anti-malware working on win98SE. This is for an old infected laptop that I have. The keyboard is blocked, it's very hard to reach the Safe Mode. I can't shutdown properly, when opening a notepad, it's automatically filled all the lines with the hyphen key.

Thanks in advance.
 #25326  by Vrtule
 Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 am
Hello,

I actually don't know about such a program. Maybe, you can try to find some old Avira versions (AFAIR they supported these old Windows for quite a long time).

Maybe, it would be better to boot from a rescue CD/DVD (some antiviruses allow you to download it from their website) and scan the system from there.
 #25327  by h00key
 Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 pm
I suggest old versions too, as malware on W98 isn't likely very new.

Is F-PROT still available for DOS based Windows?

How about ClamAV? My friend used it on 98 a few years ago. Don't know about its detection capabilities however.

Reformatting is of course easiest.
 #25366  by floalma
 Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:04 pm
None of these AV worked for me :

Avast doesn't accept the licence. I suppose because this version is odd and free license is only for the last version.
Avira, after installing, couldn't run. The version 9 is supposed to work on win98, but it asked me to update Windows;
Dr Web for Dos, after installing, when I ran for the first time, it was very hard to load the database, and some databases gave an error. At the end, it asked me about the license.
Clamwin, I got the latest version from their website, but after downloading the database, I ran a scan, it opened the scan windows, but no information about the scanning drive. It scanned during a few hours, with the same blank window. It didn't work.
I'm afraid that your recommended F-Prot won't work here.

Do it exist anti-malware or anti-rootkits programs like Rkill, Combofix, gmer, rootrepealer, AdwCleaner, PowerTool working on win98SE ?