A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #1903  by xqrzd
 Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:04 pm
Thank you EP_X0FF and GamingMasteR :mrgreen:
This will be interesting, I have never used undocumented structures before, this will open up some opportunities :shock: I have one last question, how often does Microsoft change these structures? Have they ever changed them with a service pack or hotfix? I'm just wondering if checking the OS version (XP, Vista, 7) is enough to make sure I am using the right structure.
 #1904  by GamingMasteR
 Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 pm
It depends !
For example, Vista Build 6000/6001/6002 have no change in EPROCESS/ETHREAD structures, while they have major changes in Object Manager related structures (OBJECT_TYPE/OBJECT_TYPE_INITIALIZER) .
You have to check the structures you want to use if it have major changes cross service packs .
But usually, changes made on different windows releases only (XP/Vista/7).
 #4160  by xqrzd
 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:17 am
sorry to bump this old topic but I have another question. I've been using EP_X0FF's method on Win XP and it has been working well, but just recently I tried it on Win7 and it appears that FilePointer in the CONTROL_AREA structure is no longer a PFILE_OBJECT, but EX_FAST_REF. I use it like this, but it gives me a BSOD:
Code: Select all
PSECTION_OBJECT sectionObject;
PFILE_OBJECT file;

sectionObject = (PSECTION_OBJECT)((PEPROCESS)process)->SectionObject;
file = ((PSEGMENT)sectionObject->Segment)->ControlArea->FilePointer.Object;

if (file && MmIsAddressValid(file))
{
//anything done with file causes BSOD
}
and 1 last question, what is the best way to store all of these structures? right now my code looks like this, and it causes a LOT of copy-paste:

if (WIN_VER == XP_SP3_32)
{
#include "struct_XP_SP3_32.h"
PEPROCESS process;
PSECTION_OBJECT;
}
else if (WIN_VER == VISTA_SP2_32)
{
#include "struct_VISTA_SP2_32.h"
PEPROCESS process;
PSECTION_OBJECT;
}
 #4162  by GamingMasteR
 Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:51 am
#define MAX_FAST_REFS 7

file = (PFILE_OBJECT)(((PSEGMENT)sectionObject->Segment)->ControlArea->FilePointer.Value & ~MAX_FAST_REFS);
What is the best way to store all of these structures?
Pack common used offsets in structure and initialize it in driver startup, I use something like this :
struct {
    USHORT ProcProcessName;
    USHORT ProcSectionObject;
} OffsetStruct;

#define	GetMember(__Object, __Type, __Member)((__Type*)((ULONG_PTR)__Object + OffsetStruct.##__Member))
 #4169  by EP_X0FF
 Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:25 am
I tried it on Win7 and it appears that FilePointer in the CONTROL_AREA structure is no longer a PFILE_OBJECT, but EX_FAST_REF
This is started from Vista RTM (6000).