A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

All off-topic discussion goes here.
 #11534  by everdox
 Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 pm
personally and without a ten paragraph discussion on the matter, i think windows 8 is just one step closer to palladium. I'm sure most UEFI firmware will allow personal certs for those of us who develop or own boot drivers but I still think they are inching ever closer to the day of protecting the computer from the user (palladium) which is of course in the name of DRM.

thoughts?
 #11714  by EP_X0FF
 Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:42 am
who will be using windows 8?
At least I, because any new windows version is directly related to my work.
 #11722  by Vrtule
 Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 am
I will be using the new version too. It seems that there are some interesting improvements in certain interfaces (Windows Filtering Platform for example).
 #11731  by rkhunter
 Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm
Guys, what you especially want from Win 8?
Don't you think that the original beauty NT-kernel become prohibitively large, greedy and clumsy, moreover, drowned in a swamp of marketing?
 #11742  by EP_X0FF
 Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 am
rkhunter wrote:NT-kernel become prohibitively large, greedy and clumsy, moreover, drowned in a swamp of marketing?
For example?
 #11746  by rkhunter
 Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 am
EP_X0FF wrote:
rkhunter wrote:NT-kernel become prohibitively large, greedy and clumsy, moreover, drowned in a swamp of marketing?
For example?
This is was only a question and I mean ntoskrnl. I don't know how possible compared performance of orig nt4/2k kernel with Win 8.
But, from my view,
- From version to version, especially from Vista, were more complicated almost all subsystems, including VMM, I/O manager, more and more system services.
- If earlier it was at least as it was similar to the micro-kernel, but now it seems it is already clear on what.
- I think today the development of the kernel is contrary to those concepts that were laid by Cutler's team from DEC. For example, you may compared Helen Custer describing NT-concepts in "Inside Windows NT" (or Solomon - 2-nd edition) and last Russinovich Windows Internals book (5-th or 6-th edition). And also, if DEC developed it OS as perfect solution for machines, Windows purely commercial project (MS way). And I think that it was died...at least in the form in which it was as NT. Seems today this is not NT, already...
- Moreover, was a split a user mode - kernel32, for example, because there are more and more API were added.
- I think that Windows XP the most successful architectural solution of all and is unlikely to be something better.
- And the last, as far as I know, in fact, none of the OS that MS developed not born at company, basically it was a revision of others ideas and more marketing on these ideas.
 #11751  by Buster_BSA
 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 am
rkhunter wrote:I think that Windows XP the most successful architectural solution of all and is unlikely to be something better.
100% agreeded
 #12186  by kmd
 Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:27 am
So anyone plan use it on desktop? for usual purposes, not research
 #12191  by redp
 Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 am
rkhunter wrote: - From version to version, especially from Vista, were more complicated almost all subsystems, including VMM, I/O manager, more and more system services.
I think you are wrong
Vista introduced big amount of some really usefull features. Just to name some
- WFP
- RPC clients in KM
- processes integrity levels
It`s seems that neither w7 & w8 don`t have so much new things
rkhunter wrote: I think that Windows XP the most successful architectural solution of all and is unlikely to be something better.
You forgot to say that xp had lots of global locks and nonscalable scheduler. This was partially fixed in w2k3 and much more in vista
 #12195  by rkhunter
 Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:10 am
redp wrote:You forgot to say that xp had lots of global locks and nonscalable scheduler. This was partially fixed in w2k3 and much more in vista
Can you say a little more about scalable scheduler and how it improves performance in multiprocessor desktop systems?
What global locks at XP you mean?