A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for analysis and discussion about malware.
 #5752  by ConanTheLibrarian
 Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm
There is a virus ITW that hides most of the files/folders on the system drive (c:) by setting the hidden attribute.

I have seen this virus a few times, but I am having the hardest time trying to identify what virus causes this. I do not have any samples.

Has anyone seen this infection yet and provide some insight as to the name?
 #5761  by Meriadoc
 Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 am
Windows Recovery hides your docs and all programs - interestingly it rendered vm useless, unable to revert or make a snapshot I had to end the vmware process.
Attachments
pass=malware
(501.16 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
 #5762  by kiskav
 Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 am
Thanks for the sample Meridoc.. Not sure why Fatduck sample Crashed my VM, but Your's sample worked like a Charm. :)

Does any aware of , On what basis this Rogueware chooses the folder to enable the Hide attribute ?. Any easy way to revert the changes done by this Rogueware alone & not disturbing the legitimate files hided by Microsoft for security Reasons ?

Regards,
Kiskav
 #5764  by EP_X0FF
 Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 am
kiskav wrote:Does any aware of , On what basis this Rogueware chooses the folder to enable the Hide attribute ?.
There are some strings from unpacked sample (main exe container for another exe, crypted and packed with FSG).
*.* "" attrib -h attrib +h
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
NoChangingWallPaper
ShowSuperHiddenHidden
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
that's all "techniques" it had on board. It affects seems to be only desktop and user folders such as My Documents, Main Menu, SendTo folder etc.
 #5771  by PX5
 Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 pm
I was also curious how the selection of files and folders was done, I have had files come up missing from folders on root as well as most anything in documents and settings.

Im sure there is some sorta pattern they use but havent a clue what it may be. :(
 #6278  by wealllbe20
 Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm
*Update*
"Not A Virus" but malware also has potential to remove all user start menu shortcuts (*.lnk)

As well as changing many registry entries

I fixed 90% by running dial-a-fix
The only one it did not fix was:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Name: HideIcons
Type: REG_DWORD
Change Value Back To: 0

I was so ticked off I looked for a undelete utility and it found zero .lnk files

I did a search-> *.lnk and I found them all
Located here
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp

It created 3 folders
Folders 1 2 and 4 here is what they mean:

1 -- All users start menu
2 -- current user quicklaunch
4 -- all users desktop