A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #7070  by NOP
 Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:04 pm
Hi guys.

Is there any way of getting the WinDDK working with Visual C++ 2010 Express? DDKWizard doesn't work with 2010 and VisualDDK says it can't find a file when installing(maybe due to it being the Express version?). Since I'm still a total noob with all this kernel mode stuff it would really help my learning if I could see the members of structures and check out declarations like I can with normal user mode projects.

Any ideas?
 #7078  by kmd
 Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:48 am
and what is actual problem?

install wdk, configure studio search pathes
 #7868  by 0xC0000022L
 Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:42 pm
DDKWizard comes with full source, you may go ahead and fix it up for VS 2010 ... or perhaps I'll do it myself eventually.

Being a "noob", I think you would do well to work on your WinDbg skills. It provides most of what you will ever need for kernel mode debugging. And I have to caution you because no Visual Studio will help you with struct members unless you use something like Visual Assist X. The reason being that the DDK/WDK is installed independently from the headers in VS. Since VAX will parse the header files instead of browse info, you'll be fine. No idea whether VAX would work with Express editions, though.
 #7888  by Vrtule
 Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:58 pm
I use VisualDDK plugin for MS VS 2010 and it works quite fine.