A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for announcements and questions about tools and software.
 #7433  by pr0g
 Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:19 am
Can somebody explain how sp0raw managed to stole the release, he hacked in their network and stole it from WinPC or what actually happened?
 #7441  by EP_X0FF
 Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 am
pr0g wrote:Can somebody explain how sp0raw managed to stole the release, he hacked in their network and stole it from WinPC or what actually happened?
I believe this was done with help of insider info, or probably with help of somebody who worked (or who was affiliated) with target company. The next this was packed ala old school release with trolling and full of emotions NFO. We must say "thank you Sp0raw" for giving IDA for everybody, however his own motive and his self proclaimed revenge it's not worth a damn. As well as his attempts to do self-PR and play in D'Artagnan. HexRays and ESET can deal with that. Yes, it's of course big impact to ESET's reputation and HexRays business but this is not catastrophe.
 #7450  by pr0g
 Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:42 pm
I'm not experienced in reversing at the moment so I can't that well grasp what's the big deal about ESET in utilization of IDA and watermarking measures and not using all those mechanisms sp0raw mentioned in nfo + licenses.
So he just got the release under the table and that's it, what's the big deal in comparison with 5.5 release then, it was also just released as installation package. I read that 6.1 is actually cracked, can you explain me why with already stolen & licensed version there is still cracking requirement to make it widely relevant?

Thx