A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Discussion on reverse-engineering and debugging.
 #3673  by Meriadoc
 Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:41 am
Whilst reading a blog tonight I was reminded of adding WinDbg to the context menu which I also do for associating with .dmp and .exe files by adding some registry entries.

I thought this might help someone starting out with the Debugging Tools for Windows (or anyone else for that matter) in practical use and saving a little time when starting work with the debugger by associating dump files and loading your most common commands and, an option for running an exe under WinDbg - anything that saves time is always good 'eh ;)

Take a look at Tess Ferrandez's - If broken it is, fix it you should msdn blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tess/archive/20 ... 00020.aspx for the details,..no point writing it all out again...and I can give credit to Tess for the 'Debug this Dump With Remote:70' for remoting in to a session that I added a while back.

Also at Skypher http://skypher.com/index.php/2009/01/05 ... ntegration I've found and example for exe with a download including the binary data.

Enter what you want to use in notepad and save with .reg then you can right-click and merge into the registry.

If your not up to speed read the blog posts carefully so not to make a mistake. Don't forget you may have to change the WinDbg version (x86/x64) and paths accordingly.

#3680  by GamingMasteR
 Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:46 am
Thanks Meriadoc for the links .
You can also associate WinDBG with *.DMP extension by running WInDBG.exe one time with "-IA" switch :
Code: Select all
windbg.exe -IA
 #3691  by Meriadoc
 Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:50 pm
GamingMasteR wrote:Thanks Meriadoc for the links .
You can also associate WinDBG with *.DMP extension by running WInDBG.exe one time with "-IA" switch :
Code: Select all
windbg.exe -IA
Thanks GamingMasterR, yes this also includes your workspace files (associates .wew) so again saving you time you can just double-click them.
When starting out a good resource to draw upon is WinDbg itself. The help file and corresponding msdn is comprehensive - then its all about getting some practice, there are many debugging blogs and tuts out there that can help.