A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Ask your beginner questions here.
 #3248  by driverobject
 Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:34 pm
Hi all,

How can I add a build, minor,major.... version number to my driver so every time I build the driver, it automatically gets embedded inside the file as a version number. Then what I'd love to see is every time I build, I'd like to DbgPrint or similar and log out the version number in the debugger as the driver starts. My searches have not been fruitful in the ddk help as I'm probably searching for the wrong keywords for this topic.

Thanks in advance,
 #3249  by __Genius__
 Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm
I'm not sure if I got you exact or not but try VisualDDK with Visual Studio, it has some options in an .inf file beside the project files which you can change them like DriverVer & Provider & ... .
 #3252  by GamingMasteR
 Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:40 am
Hi,

One way is to write a script or small tool that runs pre-build and parse the *.rc file and increment the version information .
 #3272  by driverobject
 Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 am
How do i generate the resource file as I currently only have a simple source, makefile and sources files?
 #3273  by EP_X0FF
 Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 am
Do a simple RC file and compile it with Resource Compiler from WDK/DDK/VS whatever you use.
 #3275  by Alex
 Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:20 pm
I didn't try this (BuildVer 1.6.1.23) and other tools, but I see there are a lot of other solutions.