A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

All off-topic discussion goes here.
 #12196  by redp
 Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:23 am
rkhunter wrote: Can you say a little more about scalable scheduler and how it improves performance in multiprocessor desktop systems?
What global locks at XP you mean?
I can
Since w2k3 all scheduler guts stored in KPRCB. In w2k/xp is just global lists with (surprise!) global locks.Try guess where you need to wait on lock more time ?
The same true for example for KTIMER lists
 #12205  by EP_X0FF
 Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:16 am
kmd wrote:So anyone plan use it on desktop? for usual purposes, not research
For me win7 as desktop/home os is enough, so I'll likely skip win8. Hopefully win8 will be the final nail in the coffin of crapware winxp.
 #12233  by ZeroFrost
 Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 am
Is too early yet for me to determine Windows 8 is worthy successor to Window 7, however with it coming so soon after 7 maybe better to stay on 7 until Window 9, you can also keep many XP system handy for fallback anyway.
 #12338  by LeastPrivileges
 Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm
rkhunter wrote:
I think that Windows XP the most successful architectural solution of all and is unlikely to be something better.
I will use Windows 8, but I currently use Windows 7 (Ultimate) with AppLocker configured. I think it is better (more secure) than Software Restriction Policies (SRP) in XP.
 #12760  by J-Jank
 Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 pm
I won't use 8th version till there is 1 pack with the bug coorection, I'm sure there will be lots of them.