A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #24133  by eltorope
 Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:31 pm
Hello,

I am trying to hot-patch certain functions from ndis.sys. As a starting point I used
sebek's hooking code which seems to work for NDIS <5 or <6. Here is (roughly)
what the code looks like:

ndis_base = find_system_dll():
ZwQuerySystemInformation to find the base address of the system module of interest

print_export(ndis_base):
parse/search/print NT header-data dictionary for the address of the function of interest

hook_functions(ndis_base, "NdisSendNetBufferLists"):
parse/search/modify NT header-data dictionary for the address of the function of interest

print_export(ndis_base):
parse/search/print NT header-data dictionary for the address of the function of interest

In action:

[hooking] find_system_dll: NDIS.sys; base = 0x88883000; size = 0xb7000

[hooking] print_export: function NdisSendNetBufferLists is @ 0x888ebc2a
[hooking] print_export: function NdisMSendNetBufferListsComplete is @ 0x888ebe66

[hooking] hook_ndis: NdisSendNetBufferLists: old: 0x888e8c2a new: 0x94b07170
[hooking] hook_ndis: NdisMSendNetBufferListsComplete: old: 0x888e8e66 new: 0x94b071c0

[hooking] print_export: function NdisSendNetBufferLists is @ 0x94b07170
[hooking] print_export: function NdisMSendNetBufferListsComplete is @ 0x94b071c0

Later on, if NdisSendNetBufferLists is called, the old address of 0x888ebc2a can be seen in windbg:
kd> g
Breakpoint 7 hit
ndis!NdisSendNetBufferLists:
888ebc2a 8bff mov edi,edi

Why does this not work?

Thanks in advance!
 #24151  by Vrtule
 Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 am
Hello,

I did not look at Sebek's hooking code. However, if it just modifies the export table of ndis.sys, I would expect the hook functions will be called only when the hooked ones are called from a newly loaded driver (a driver loaded after the hooking is done) because other drivers have already linked to ndis.sys so they do not walk its export table any longer.
 #24180  by eltorope
 Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:17 pm
You were right, I loaded my driver, then inserted a new network card, and the hook was called.

My option then is to load the driver before the network driver or patch the adresses in previously
loaded drivers when my driver gets loaded.

Thanks a lot!