A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Discussion on reverse-engineering and debugging.
 #16807  by _MAX_
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 am
yes these two posts are related to each other ,
im patching adress in HalDispatchTable but i want to restore original address when im done, now i want to read haldispatch+ 8 pointer referring value to patch again the table and restore original address!

i dont have my code here to paste but the problem is what i exaplained before, How can i read that pointer value from user-space, it seems its not possible to read kernel address fro user-mode , so do you please give me another advice?
 #16810  by EP_X0FF
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 pm
_MAX_ wrote:yes these two posts are related to each other ,
im patching adress in HalDispatchTable but i want to restore original address when im done, now i want to read haldispatch+ 8 pointer referring value to patch again the table and restore original address!
How do you patch it and for what purpose.
 #16815  by _MAX_
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:39 pm
Im learning windows kernel exploitation i have a vulnerable driver to play with
Code: Select all
	ULONG_PTR				HalDispatchTable;
	ULONG_PTR				HaliQuerySystemInformationPointer;
	PULONG_PTR				HaliQuerySystemInformation;

hNtOsHandle = LoadLibrary( KernelImageName );
	if ( hNtOsHandle == NULL )
	{
		REPORT_ERROR("LoadLibrary()", &err);
		return FALSE;
	}

// get nt!HalDispatchTable address , it is exported by kernel.
	HalDispatchTable = KernelGetProcAddress( (ULONG_PTR)hNtOsHandle, KernelBaseAddress, "HalDispatchTable" );
	if ( HalDispatchTable == NULL )
	{
		REPORT_ERROR("KernelGetProcAddress()", &err);
		return FALSE;
	}
        printf("HalDispatchTable at : %p", HalDispatchTable);

HaliQuerySystemInformationPointer = HalDispatchTable+0x8;
	printf( "HaliQuerySystemInformation Pointer at : %p", HaliQuerySystemInformationPointer );
	HaliQuerySystemInformation= (ULONG_PTR*) HalDispatchTable+0x8;

printf("- HaliQuerySystemInformation: %p\n", *HaliQuerySystemInformation);   <<--- Access Violation
 #16816  by kmd
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 pm
HalDispatchTable used to store address of shellcode to execute. NtQueryIntervalProfile used to call this shellcode from user mode.
u have all your answers in 2nd post of 0x16/7ton

without a driver or bug in windows you cannot write or read from KM, unless this page is somehow shared between modes
 #16818  by _MAX_
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:31 pm
kmd wrote:HalDispatchTable used to store address of shellcode to execute. NtQueryIntervalProfile used to call this shellcode from user mode.

without a driver or bug in windows you cannot write or read from KM, unless this page is somehow shared between modes
Ok, But when im patching HalDispatchTable+8 Entry when i want to restart or shutdown system i have Blue Screen, and i think thats why im patching HalDispatchTable i want to restore it to original form, for that i think i need to have original value before exploiting
 #16819  by EP_X0FF
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:36 pm
_MAX_ wrote:
kmd wrote:HalDispatchTable used to store address of shellcode to execute. NtQueryIntervalProfile used to call this shellcode from user mode.

Ok, But when im patching HalDispatchTable+8 Entry when i want to restart or shutdown system i have Blue Screen, and i think thats why im patching HalDispatchTable i want to restore it to original form, for that i think i need to have original value before exploiting
Don't you think it is ridiculous expect anything else after patching kernel mode table fillled by kernel mode addresses with address pointed to nowhere in the user mode? :) You have your dump in case of BSOD - where is it analysis?
 #16821  by _MAX_
 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 pm
After all of this , Its not possible to restore HalDispatchTable+8 to its original value ?
Yes/No
If Yes What
Else Thank You