A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #6352  by pr0g
 Tue May 17, 2011 8:05 am
frank_boldewin wrote:there will be a new book own device driver coding on windows 7 in january 2011.

http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Device-Dri ... 199&sr=1-2

The First Authoritative Guide to Writing Robust, High-Performance Windows 7 Device Drivers Windows 7 Device Driver brings together all the information experienced programmers need to build exceptionally reliable, high-performance Windows 7 drivers. Internationally renowned driver development expert Ronald D. Reeves shows how to make the most of Microsoft's powerful new tools and models; save time and money; and efficiently deliver stable, robust drivers. Drawing on his unsurpassed experience as both a driver developer and instructor, Reeves demystifies Kernel and User Mode Driver development, Windows Driver Foundation (WDF) architecture, driver debugging, and many other key topics. Throughout, he provides best practices for all facets of the driver development process, illuminating his insights with proven sample code. Learn how to *Use WDF to reduce development time, improve system stability, and enhance serviceability*Take full advantage of both the User Mode Driver Framework (UMDF) and the Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF)*Implement best practices for designing, developing, and debugging both User Mode and Kernel Mode Drivers*Manage I/O requests and queues, self-managed I/O, synchronization, locks, plug-and-play, power management, device enumeration, and more*Develop UMDF drivers with COM*Secure Kernel Mode Drivers with safe defaults, parameter validation, counted UNICODE strings, and safe device naming techniques*Program and troubleshoot WMI support in Kernel Mode Drivers*Utilize advanced multiple I/O queuing techniques Whether you're creating Windows 7 drivers for laboratory equipment, communications hardware, or any other device or technology, this book will help you build production code more quickly, get to market sooner, and start earning money faster!

Windows 7 Device Driver brings together all the information experienced programmers need to build exceptionally reliable, high-performance Windows 7 drivers. Internationally renowned driver development expert Ronald D. Reeves shows how to make the most of Microsoft’s powerful new tools and models; save time and money; and efficiently deliver stable, robust drivers.

Drawing on his unsurpassed experience as both a driver developer and instructor, Reeves demystifies Kernel and User Mode Driver development, Windows Driver Foundation (WDF) architecture, driver debugging, and many other key topics. Throughout, he provides best practices for all facets of the driver development process, illuminating his insights with proven sample code.

Learn how to

Use WDF to reduce development time, improve system stability, and enhance serviceability
Take full advantage of both the User Mode Driver Framework (UMDF) and the Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF)
Implement best practices for designing, developing, and debugging both User Mode and Kernel Mode Drivers
Manage I/O requests and queues, self-managed I/O, synchronization, locks, plug-and-play, power management, device enumeration, and more
Develop UMDF drivers with COM
Secure Kernel Mode Drivers with safe defaults, parameter validation, counted UNICODE strings, and safe device naming techniques
Program and troubleshoot WMI support in Kernel Mode Drivers
Utilize advanced multiple I/O queuing techniques
That book is quite NOT so recommended on the basis of reviewer claims...
 #7867  by 0xC0000022L
 Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm
gglittle wrote:DDKWIZARD is simply an easy way to build a WDK project within Visual Studio. If you know how to build a Makefile project within VS you really do not need it. I've been building my own, using Mark Roddy's, the original author, DDKBUILD for over a decade.
OSR claims they wrote the original. Mark worked for them at some point, if I remember the words of one OSR employee correctly (took a seminar from them some years ago).

Great write up, though!
 #12347  by Xylitol
 Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 am
listito wrote:can you guys please tell me where i can find this book in pdf?

"Windows NT Device Driver Development (OSR Classic Reprints)" ?
>> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Device-De ... 0976717522
i don't think they have do pdf version.