A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

All off-topic discussion goes here.
 #8735  by ranget
 Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:26 pm
just wanted to Know what is the best way to protect a computer in your Opinion
i know there are a lot of topic of these nature on the web
but i wanted your opinion and it's really important for me to get your advice as i Look up to you as a Hire Model
and i hope some day to be like you guys and gals

and Plz move the topic where ever you see best

:mrgreen:

thanks in advance Really LOoking to see your Posts :mrgreen:
 #8999  by ranget
 Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 pm
Not all people know how to use their hands or their brain

any area or book or anything i should start Looking at ???

this answer is very very important for me and i can't describe how much important for me to get advice form
you guys

epx0f and rkhunter and xylitol and other awesome guys :)
 #9027  by Xylitol
 Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 pm
Personally i use Common sense 2011 professional edition:
- Real time virus protection with unbeatable detection rates
- Filter unsafe downloads
- Zero CPU usage
- No annoying notifications
- 100% free
- Compatible with all operating systems

When your computer gives you trouble, just a little Common Sense :mrgreen:
https://twitter.com/#!/Xylit0l/status/1 ... 1571676163
 #9113  by ranget
 Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:53 pm
didn't expect less from Uber Geeks and Malware exprets :D

i started looking into malware and start reading and studying security i'm a noob at this
i'm trying to be someone like you guys i know the road is bumpy and a bit hard but i'm going to do it anyway

but it's really assuring to have you guys looking after us :mrgreen: thanks for all the good Professionals

thanks for the replay

and mean while i use antivirus avast + Firewall comodo
 #9167  by ranget
 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 pm
i don't know how to use my brain else i wouldn't post this topic

anyway can anyone give me a Clue about where to find the Manuel :roll:
 #9171  by EP_X0FF
 Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:31 am
Take the following steps to help prevent infection on your computer (basic recommendations for casual users):
  • Enable a firewall on your computer.
  • Get the latest computer updates for all your installed software.
  • Use up-to-date antivirus software.
  • Limit user privileges on the computer.
  • Use caution when opening attachments and accepting file transfers.
    Exercise caution with email and attachments received from unknown sources, or received unexpectedly from known sources. Use extreme caution when accepting file transfers from known or unknown sources.
  • Use caution when clicking on links to webpages.
    Exercise caution with links to webpages that you receive from unknown sources, especially if the links are to a webpage that you are not familiar with, unsure of the destination of, or suspicious of. Malicious software may be installed in your computer simply by visiting a webpage with harmful content.
  • Avoid downloading pirated software.
    Threats may also be bundled with software and files that are available for download on various torrent sites.
  • Protect yourself against social engineering attacks.
    While attackers may attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in hardware or software to compromise a computer, they also attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in human behavior to do the same. When an attacker attempts to take advantage of human behavior to persuade the affected user to perform an action of the attacker's choice, it is known as 'social engineering'. Essentially, social engineering is an attack against the human interface of the targeted computer.
  • Use strong passwords.
    Attackers may try to gain access to your Windows account by guessing your password. It is therefore important that you use a strong password – one that cannot be easily guessed by an attacker. A strong password is one that has at least eight characters, and combines letters, numbers, and symbols.