A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Ask your beginner questions here.
 #15912  by Tom Smith
 Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:27 pm
Hi,

First of all, apologies if this is not the correct place for me to ask for some guidance.

I am currently in my final year at University and I'm thinking about doing my final year project on "Reversing Malware", I have never done this in the past but I am ready to take on this challenge as I am keen to learn about it.

My current idea is to: create a secured lab environment & have a host (Linux OS) and then have different versions of "Microsoft OS": XP, Vista & Windows 7 also maybe Linux OS - Redhat & Ubuntu. (All of these will be virtual machines)

I would then like to infect all these 3 machines with the same malware and see what has changed and what OS has become more vulnerable.

Can someone please guide me on where to start of first, what is the first thing to do after injecting a malware, and then how can I identifying what type of malware it is - is their a way to stop that malware & also how would you dis-infect the malware?

I hope someone can show me the right path in order for me to complete this project successfuly.

If you have any other project ideas please express them, as this is just a thought process of what my project may turn out to be & it may totally change.

Thanks, I look forward to few replies.

Tom
 #15918  by rkhunter
 Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am
Reversing Malware is a really rhetorical theme especially for final year in university. Maybe you need narrow your theme and concentrate, for example, on specific malware family?