A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #30267  by grechkoed
 Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:28 am
Hello!

I'm writing windows driver and want to use undocumented function from ntoskrnl.lib (PsSuspendProcess). (I know that it's not the best thing to do, but nevertheless I want to try)
So I declared it by myself:
Code: Select all
NTSTATUS
PsSuspendProcess(
	IN PEPROCESS Process
);
Found it in ntoskrnl.lib: dumpbin.exe /EXPORTS .\ntoskrnl.lib
Dump of file .\ntoskrnl.lib

File Type: LIBRARY

Exports
                  PsSuspendProcess
Also I added this file into Visual Studio project. Path to the library directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib\10.0.15063.0\km) was already in the project properites. But I got this error while compiling driver:
unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl PsSuspendProcess(struct _KPROCESS *)"
So, what am I doing wrong?
 #30268  by raiden
 Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Add extern "C" __declspec(dllimport) and calling convention to your definition, something like this:
extern "C"
NTSYSAPI
NTSTATUS
NTAPI
PsSuspendProcess (
  PEPROCESS Process
);
 #30270  by Vrtule
 Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:08 pm
Hello,

what about something like this?
__declspec(dllimport) NTSTATUS
PsSuspendProcess(
   IN PEPROCESS Process
);
The project should automatically link against ntoskrnl.lib since you can hardly avoid using any of its routines.

I would recommend you, howerver, to find this symbol dynamically (MmGetSystemRoutineAddress) because you have no guarantee that it stays exported in the future (or is exported by all ntoskrnl.exe you wish to support). You are currently using ntoskrnl.lib for Windows 10.
 #30274  by grechkoed
 Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 am
Thanks guys!

The problem was that source file name was Source.cpp not Source.c, So as I think compiler tried to find mangled name. Probably your solutions will work too.
 #30276  by tangptr
 Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:55 pm
If you are writing C code in *.cpp file, you may specify "/TC" parameter for cl to inform compiler to compile it into C code regardless of the file extension name. Likewise, you may specify "/TP" parameter for cl to inform compiler to compile it into C++ code regardless of the file extension name. In some cases, something like "extern C" could be unnecessary to use. This could be set via Visual Studio(Properties -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Compile As,) but I, considering that I could specify definitions of macros and other advanced user-defined parameters for different source code files when compiling, prefer using Batch in spite of the complicated operation.

When declaring functions from other libraries, you should specify "__declspec(dllimport)"(__declspec, i.e, Declaration Specified). To make it looks more like designed for kernel-mode driver, you may specify "NTKERNELAPI" before "NTSTATUS".
FOR EXAMPLE:
NTKERNELAPI NTSTATUS PsSuspendProcess(IN PEPROCESS Process);