A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

All off-topic discussion goes here.
 #30383  by Victor43
 Sun May 28, 2017 8:21 pm
Does anyone know anything about cloud computing in the context of network security ?

1. How does it work in terms of network security which makes use of cloud computing ?
2. Does all program files (notepad, IE, and so on) reside on the cloud computing server there is no hard drive locally at the workstation level ?
3. Does internet go through or pass through the cloud computing server ?
4. Which server OS runs the cloud servers ?
 #30385  by Vrtule
 Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 am
Hello,

it depends what do you exactly mean by the term "cloud computing". Its meaning is quite broad, it's a buzzword of today (or recent past, since today's buzzword is artificial inteligence).

If you are interested in having a virtual private server (VPS, a term used before cloud computing became so cool and in) somewhere in the cloud, it behaves just as a machine connected to the internet. But since it is stored somewhere on the hosters servers, the hoster has full access to the server, including file system etc. And, of course, he/she has full control over the network.

All files and applications reside on the remote server, htere is nothing like a local storage.

However, there are many levels of what you can run in the cloud, not just bare servers which you manage yourself.
 #30386  by Victor43
 Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 pm
Vrtule wrote:Hello,

it depends what do you exactly mean by the term "cloud computing". Its meaning is quite broad, it's a buzzword of today (or recent past, since today's buzzword is artificial inteligence).

If you are interested in having a virtual private server (VPS, a term used before cloud computing became so cool and in) somewhere in the cloud, it behaves just as a machine connected to the internet. But since it is stored somewhere on the hosters servers, the hoster has full access to the server, including file system etc. And, of course, he/she has full control over the network.

All files and applications reside on the remote server, htere is nothing like a local storage.

However, there are many levels of what you can run in the cloud, not just bare servers which you manage yourself.
There is a company called Crowdstrike wich I have been following and they run a cloud based network security service. So my questions are related to this company and their Falcon product. Does this help a little ?
 #30389  by Victor43
 Tue May 30, 2017 7:45 pm
Victor43 wrote:
Vrtule wrote:Hello,

There is a company called Crowdstrike wich I have been following and they run a cloud based network security service. So my questions are related to this company and their Falcon product. Does this help a little ?
As I described my following of the company called Crowdstrike which provides its Falcon product but my inquiry applies to just about cloud based network security software that is cloud based. I'd like to learn do user applications execute locally at the workstation level or on a cloud based computing OS in some sort of virtual machine ?