A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

All off-topic discussion goes here.
 #25680  by Brock
 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:27 pm
As of Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10049 Spartan browser is built-in and available to test. What are your thoughts/opinions about this new browser? I see it has new rendering engine among other enhancements and is a modern UI app, which by default only allows DLLs to be loaded if they have ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES group attached to the file permissions ACL. Curious to receive any feedback for those of you who've also tried it
Spartan5.png
Spartan5.png (93.56 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Spartan3.png
Spartan3.png (21.56 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Spartan1.png
Spartan1.png (42.66 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Best Regards,
Brock
 #25681  by EP_X0FF
 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:46 pm
Will you be using it? It is default browser starting from 10056.

Why I should jump from my comfortable chrome or firefox to this? Just because it preinstalled on Windows? Hmm, it looks a bit faster than default IE in 7/8.1 so I can download my browser faster and forget about this crap.
 #25683  by Brock
 Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:51 pm
I use a combination of Opera / FF / Chrome so I don't plan to "give up" my existing browsers of choice. However, as time goes on we'll see if it outshines IE enough to phase it out, but probably never will due to IE being deeply embedded into Windows (Microsoft Active Accessibility etc.) and will likely remain for backwards compatibility. I think IE is trash and has been since the early stages which used Mosaic code base. Maybe when Spartan matures and shows end users that it's truly a separate browser outside of IE then it may be worth making more serious performance, security and usability comparisons

Best Regards,
Brock