A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #3859  by kmd
 Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 am
LiatLevontin wrote:So for example for Kaspersky, why an attacker doesn't try to open Kaspersky driver handle, send an IOCTL to kill a process, unprotect a process, etc. etc. for bypassing Kaspersky itself? I'm sure they have a function in kernel for such stuff, like terminating process, killing a file, etc. etc.

What do you think?
coz kaspersky make this complicated and why do you think vulnerabilities in his driver wasn't exploited before? afair kaspersky removal tool was exploited by malware earlier http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?sh ... 65476&st=0, http://cracklab.ru/f/index.php?action=v ... opic=11664, this tool doing exactly what you said.
 #4026  by LiatLevontin
 Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm
First of all, thanks to all replies, I learned a lot from you. Finally it seems there isn't a good way of achieving this end, right? All users can reverse the driver IOCTL and use our driver, right?
 #4030  by EP_X0FF
 Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:17 pm
All users can reverse the driver IOCTL and use our driver, right?
Not all. And it is not necessary to use only IOCTL's. This thread well described many methods how to complicate work for supposed attackers.
 #4070  by kmd
 Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 am
i would considered commercial pe file protector like VmProtect, it works with drivers

not adv :)
 #4074  by GamingMasteR
 Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:38 am
Even with heavy obfuscation techniques like in VMProtect/CodeVirtualizer, data could be sniffed easily from IO process if it's not protected by other method.
Once IO data got sniffed and it's structure defined, it can be simulated easily ...
 #4140  by Fyyre
 Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:13 pm
GamingMasteR wrote:Even with heavy obfuscation techniques like in VMProtect/CodeVirtualizer, data could be sniffed easily from IO process if it's not protected by other method.
Once IO data got sniffed and it's structure defined, it can be simulated easily ...
True. Simply hook IopXxxControlFile, and dumping of data from choice device.... is how I RCE most of GameGuard driver structures.

-Fyyre