A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Ask your beginner questions here.
 #26406  by DMEW
 Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:22 am
Im looking at malware which hallows out processes. I am able to break when the malware calls "WriteProcessMemory" and patch the OEP of the newly injected code with EBFE (Jmp to Self), then let the new process run attach my debugger to the new instance and dump it with the OEP figured out and everything. Ok great. Problem is, I cant reconstruct IAT. Using ImpRec, I cant seem to give it the OEP it wants (it keeps complaining). The newly injected code is in a different memory segment than the original process' .TEXT/.Data sections (does that matter?). This is a badly written question only because Im new at this and am stuck on even figuring out what to ask. Please advise. Any tips on rebuilding IAT on Malware that hallows out processes?
 #26493  by Brock
 Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:36 am
Why do you say Hallowed instead of Hollowed? Rebuilding IAT is RE 101 and possible with the right tools and knowledge. Sometimes this is needed by hand, which is painful but gets the job done. It's not a fun process, best of luck in your endeavors
 #26506  by DMEW
 Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:36 pm
Thanks, appreciate the response. I guess im on the right track, its just a real big pain in the ass :).

When you say "sometimes you need to do it by hand", do you mean manually script the process of tracking down calls to addresses and resolving them to a function name?