A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for announcements and questions about tools and software.
 #1079  by gjf
 Thu May 13, 2010 11:59 am
1. Start BSA.
2. Run something in corresponding to BSA Sandbox.
3. After some time close everything in sandox either manually or forced using sandbox feature (if processes don't want to close manually).
4. Click "Find Differences" in BSA.
5. Open Viewer - and any option. The text editor will be opened in the sandbox which corresponds to BSA.

And BTW - maybe you have idea why I receive "Incorrect parameter name: DefaultBox" every time I delete the sandbox content? Nevertheless the deleteing completes successfully.
 #1080  by gjf
 Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm
Some more: there is not the folowing strings in Registry Exclusion List:
Code: Select all
machine\software\Classes\clsid\{E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C}
machine\software\microsoft\COM3
machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
user\current\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket
user\current\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\AutoDetect
current_classes\*\shell\sandbox
current_classes\AppID
And I cannot understand: if the lines are included in Exclusion list why I see them in RegHive Explorer?

I must state the RegHive Explorer is very inconvenient: I have to resize the windows to see the parameters every time, it has not copy/paste ability etc.
 #1081  by Buster_BSA
 Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 pm
gjf wrote:1. Start BSA.
2. Run something in corresponding to BSA Sandbox.
3. After some time close everything in sandox either manually or forced using sandbox feature (if processes don't want to close manually).
4. Click "Find Differences" in BSA.
5. Open Viewer - and any option. The text editor will be opened in the sandbox which corresponds to BSA.
You have something wrongly configured in Sandboxie.

What happens if from Windows Explorer you double click a .TXT file? Does it open sandboxed or not?
gjf wrote:And BTW - maybe you have idea why I receive "Incorrect parameter name: DefaultBox" every time I delete the sandbox content? Nevertheless the deleteing completes successfully.
Again that´s a configuration problem in Sandboxie.

Are you using a default configuration for Sandboxie or you created a new sandbox to work with BSA?
Last edited by Buster_BSA on Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1082  by Buster_BSA
 Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 pm
gjf wrote:Some more: there is not the folowing strings in Registry Exclusion List:
Code: Select all
machine\software\Classes\clsid\{E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C}
machine\software\microsoft\COM3
machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
user\current\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket
user\current\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\AutoDetect
current_classes\*\shell\sandbox
current_classes\AppID
And I cannot understand: if the lines are included in Exclusion list why I see them in RegHive Explorer?
Because the exclusion list is only for reports. (REPORTS.TXT/ANALYSIS.TXT)
gjf wrote:I must state the RegHive Explorer is very inconvenient: I have to resize the windows to see the parameters every time, it has not copy/paste ability etc.
Do you have enabled "Options -> Save settings on exit"? If not, enable the option.

What do you want to copy/paste?
 #1083  by gjf
 Thu May 13, 2010 12:41 pm
Buster_BSA wrote: You have something wrongly configured in Sandboxie.
What happens if from Windows Explorer you double click a .TXT file? Does it open sandboxed or not?
No, text viewer is not forced to be opened in sandbox.
Buster_BSA wrote: Again that´s a configuration problem in Sandboxie.
Are you using a default configuration for Sandboxie or you created a new sandbox to work with BSA?
I have to sandboxes. The first is for normal work with internet browser and the second is for BSA investigations. Can it cause the problem?
Buster_BSA wrote: Because the exclusion list is only for reports. (REPORTS.TXT/ANALYSIS.TXT)
Too bad - it would be great to disable this crap in RegHive Viewer.
Buster_BSA wrote: Do you have enabled "Options -> Save settings on exit"? If not, enable the option.
Will try this. Thanks.
Buster_BSA wrote: What do you want to copy/paste?
Paths, parameters, names.
 #1084  by Buster_BSA
 Thu May 13, 2010 2:07 pm
gjf wrote:
Buster_BSA wrote: You have something wrongly configured in Sandboxie.
No, text viewer is not forced to be opened in sandbox.
Then the only explanation I can image is that you are running BSA.EXE sandboxed. Is it true?
gjf wrote:
Buster_BSA wrote: Again that´s a configuration problem in Sandboxie.
I have to sandboxes. The first is for normal work with internet browser and the second is for BSA investigations. Can it cause the problem?
Having two sandboxes configured can not be the cause of the problem. The problem must be in a wrong configuration or use of Sandboxie.

These problems you are reporting have never been reported before.
 #1085  by gjf
 Thu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm
Buster_BSA wrote:Then the only explanation I can image is that you are running BSA.EXE sandboxed. Is it true?
Sure no! For what I have to do this?
Buster_BSA wrote:Having two sandboxes configured can not be the cause of the problem. The problem must be in a wrong configuration or use of Sandboxie.

No idea as well. OK, will try to clarify it by myself.

What about all other issues?
 #1086  by Buster_BSA
 Thu May 13, 2010 2:46 pm
gjf wrote:
Buster_BSA wrote:Then the only explanation I can image is that you are running BSA.EXE sandboxed. Is it true?
Sure no! For what I have to do this?
No idea but I have seen enough weird things in my life to almost believe anything. :D
gjf wrote:
Buster_BSA wrote:Having two sandboxes configured can not be the cause of the problem. The problem must be in a wrong configuration or use of Sandboxie.
No idea as well. OK, will try to clarify it by myself.
What about all other issues?
To what other issues are you refering?
 #1088  by Buster_BSA
 Thu May 13, 2010 3:23 pm
gjf wrote:I mean Reg Viewer. But possibly the best solution would be using external viewers. OK, will survive with it :)
Ok.

Let me know if you solve the problem with Notepad being sandboxed and what was the solution, please.