A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Forum for discussion about kernel-mode development.
 #25650  by myid
 Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:00 am
Hi, everyone.
I modify some famous VT project and try to intercept RDMSR, but I failed.
Who can give me a VT frame which can intercept RDMSR?
Thanks in advance.
 #25705  by feryno
 Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 am
Primary Processor-Based VM-Execution Controls bit 28 = Use MSR bitmaps
set to 0 = all guest executions of RDMSR / WRMSR cause vm exits
set to 1 = you need to enable corresponding bit in MSR bitmap to intercept MSR you like.

Because you didn't intercept RDMSR, I'm only guessing that your bit 28 of the above control was 1 and corresponding bit in MSR bitmap was 0. Remember MSR bitmap VMCS field is PA, not VA, but to change any bit you need to have it mapped into some VA.

Which MSR you want to watch? You can access some guest MSRs by executing RDMSR in root mode, some guest MSRs are in VMCS so you get them by vmread, some are / are not in VMCS according settings of some control bits (save IA32_EFER VM-exit control and so on).

There are also MSR exit store address and VM entry load address, but that should not lead into missing RDMSR vm exit.
 #25707  by myid
 Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 am
feryno wrote:Primary Processor-Based VM-Execution Controls bit 28 = Use MSR bitmaps
set to 0 = all guest executions of RDMSR / WRMSR cause vm exits
set to 1 = you need to enable corresponding bit in MSR bitmap to intercept MSR you like.

Because you didn't intercept RDMSR, I'm only guessing that your bit 28 of the above control was 1 and corresponding bit in MSR bitmap was 0. Remember MSR bitmap VMCS field is PA, not VA, but to change any bit you need to have it mapped into some VA.

Which MSR you want to watch? You can access some guest MSRs by executing RDMSR in root mode, some guest MSRs are in VMCS so you get them by vmread, some are / are not in VMCS according settings of some control bits (save IA32_EFER VM-exit control and so on).

There are also MSR exit store address and VM entry load address, but that should not lead into missing RDMSR vm exit.
I want to "HOOK" RDMSR, when PATCHGUARD read MSR[0xC0000082], I return the original address of KiSystemCall64.
Before this, I use WRMSR to set a new MSR[0xC0000082] value.
Do you know my mean? It means I can "HOOK" functions on SSDT without disable PATCHGUARD.
 #25709  by DeadDead
 Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:20 pm
myid wrote: I want to "HOOK" RDMSR, when PATCHGUARD read MSR[0xC0000082], I return the original address of KiSystemCall64.
Do you know my mean? It means I can "HOOK" functions on SSDT without disable PATCHGUARD.
https://bitbucket.org/Nukem9/virtualdbg ... ter#cl-311
https://bitbucket.org/Nukem9/virtualdbg ... ter#cl-247

Like this? Since I wrote something exactly like you are describing. I never really finished it and it was intended for Windows 8 only. Use any code I guess. (This was also somewhat based on virtdbg)
 #25712  by feryno
 Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:18 am
myid wrote:I want to "HOOK" RDMSR, when PATCHGUARD read MSR[0xC0000082], I return the original address of KiSystemCall64.
Yes such method you want to use is perfect. The new address you want to write into MSR 0xC0000082 will be executed instead of KiSystemCall64. On RDMSR you'll send original value to patchguard (that's address of KiSystemCall64) so patchguard won't bugcheck. There won't be any hook in SSDT, just this trick with MSR so OS will run without problems and patchguard will be active. This is exactly how Kaspersky klhk.sys is doing it. You need to run this at every CPU/core in SMP - after you solve your settings of things I wrote in previous post (as currently you can't see vm exits at RDMSR of 0xC0000082).
 #25725  by myid
 Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:28 am
DeadDead wrote:
myid wrote: I want to "HOOK" RDMSR, when PATCHGUARD read MSR[0xC0000082], I return the original address of KiSystemCall64.
https://bitbucket.org/Nukem9/virtualdbg ... ter#cl-311
https://bitbucket.org/Nukem9/virtualdbg ... ter#cl-247

Like this? Since I wrote something exactly like you are describing. I never really finished it and it was intended for Windows 8 only. Use any code I guess. (This was also somewhat based on virtdbg)
Thanks. Let me check it.
 #25726  by myid
 Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:30 am
feryno wrote:
myid wrote:I want to "HOOK" RDMSR, when PATCHGUARD read MSR[0xC0000082], I return the original address of KiSystemCall64.
Yes such method you want to use is perfect. The new address you want to write into MSR 0xC0000082 will be executed instead of KiSystemCall64. On RDMSR you'll send original value to patchguard (that's address of KiSystemCall64) so patchguard won't bugcheck. There won't be any hook in SSDT, just this trick with MSR so OS will run without problems and patchguard will be active. This is exactly how Kaspersky klhk.sys is doing it. You need to run this at every CPU/core in SMP - after you solve your settings of things I wrote in previous post (as currently you can't see vm exits at RDMSR of 0xC0000082).
YES. Could you give me a demo code? :D