A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

Discussion on reverse-engineering and debugging.
 #14710  by hanan
 Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm
Hi

I am need your suggestion for a Malware MD5 (or better yet direct link),
I need it for me to practice and sharp my skill at this field, now why am i asking you ? the internet has a ton of them not ?!
Yes the Internet is full with malware, but i am looking for a one that isn't hard to my skill level, hence i am going to give you my requirements:

The malware shouldn't be packed with a packer that needs a manual unpaking.
The malware needs to be reasonaly in size.
The malware needs to have the ability of a backdoor (reverse shell or the like).
The malware needs to have been written in C.

That's all, i have tried to find something like that in the wild, but it is hard (silly) to find something that has all of the above requirements, hence i want you to suggest me one in case you saw something like that before.

Thank you.
 #14731  by kmd
 Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:49 pm
hi
your first requirement is confusing
everything can be unpacked through scripts
take every unpacked sample from this forum and give a try, a lot of perfectly unpacked spyeye available (meets your other requirements)

hope it helps
 #14740  by hanan
 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:59 am
kmd wrote:hi
your first requirement is confusing
everything can be unpacked through scripts
take every unpacked sample from this forum and give a try, a lot of perfectly unpacked spyeye available (meets your other requirements)

hope it helps
I wouldn't say that everything can be unpacked through (prewritten) scripts.
There are packed malware which needs special care in order to find the OEP and to rebuild the import table.

Thanks anyway.
 #14829  by t4L
 Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:19 am
IMHO if you want your skills to be sharp, you shouldn't lay the rules/requirements for the malwares you're going to reverse; malwares authors simply don't have any rules in creating their creatures. Since I consider you're a new player in this field, therefore I think you can just take a random one, try with everything you can to analyze it; step by step then you'll learn new things (how to unpack, how to use/create tools, methodology etc,.). Thats the way to make your skill "sharp".

My 2 cents.